Sex. A little word of three letters with a heck of a lot of excitement
around it. And rightfully so. For one, it feels good. For another, it helps you develop powerful emotional bonds
with your partner. Not to mention the fact that sex is vital to the survival of
our species; without it, the human species would literally cease to exist. All
in all, sex sounds like a pretty great topic to discuss.
So why is it such a taboo subject matter?
It’s a question that I’ve often pondered upon. Growing up, I was
exposed to two very different cultures; one that openly discussed sex and one
that shied away from the subject, oftentimes with a wince of disgust or embarrassment.
The latter culture made me question the very concept of sex when I was younger.
If it was a subject that people were hesitant to discuss and even avoided
talking about, is it a bad thing, then?
Admittedly, like all things in the world, there is a dark side to sex.
Issues concerning sexually transmitted diseases, rape, sexual abuse, unwanted
pregnancies, manipulations, and other malicious acts involving sex are much too
wide in scope for me to discuss here, and requires delicate and sensitive
handling I regrettably feel I am not capable of.
But what I’ve come to realize as I’ve grown older (and hopefully, but
doubtfully, wiser) was that not everything
about sex is bad. It really is just one of the many aspects of living;
there are great things about it, and there are not-so-great things about it. Most
of all, it’s just plain normal. In
fact, sex is a lot like driving a car. Almost everyone does it, though there
are some people who don’t do it, haven’t done it yet, or no longer do it. You start
doing it at a certain age; some earlier than others, and some later. There are illegal
activities involved with it, like street-racing and prostitution. And there are
serious consequences that can happen if you don’t do it safely, like putting on
a condom or putting on your seatbelt. Some choose to get a certain official
document before they start doing it (i.e. a marriage license, or a driver’s
license). Some don’t really care and just do it anyway. Some people are good at
it, while some can be better. Some do it more often. Some don’t enjoy it as
much. Both things are a horrible mix with alcohol. Both things shouldn’t be
done while you’re texting. Both things can be a lot of fun. (In fact, I think most
people would agree that sex is way more
fun).
So as I realized how normal sex
really is, it puzzled me even more that it remains to this modern time a very hush-hush subject in the majority of our
country. As I noticed my classmates in our second week of Sexual Behavior class
flinching, making appalled or scandalized faces, nervously giggling, or making
comments of disgust or wonderment like they’ve just learned something new, I
found myself wondering what sex ever did to earn such a bad reputation. Why was
sex such a taboo subject? Seeing as it’s such a normal thing, why doesn’t everyone
freely discuss it? Why should people feel embarrassed, shy, or even repulsed by
it? In short, what the heck is so bad
about sex?
And that was when I realized it. (I’m coming to a lot of realizations
in this post, it seems). Sex is a sensitive subject not because it’s bad. But
because it is private. Personal.
Admittedly, some people have more open personalities and don’t mind sharing
details of their sexual lives to others. But that’s a relative minority in our
country. For most, sex is a very personal matter, not to be shared or discussed
with just anyone. And that is an attitude I can totally understand and respect.
I then frown at how unfortunate it is that this public attitude and its
consequence of reluctance to discuss sex has produced young generations who
aren’t properly guided about sex and all of its aspects. A parent’s uneasiness
with discussing sex with their children or an education system’s view that sex
is an inappropriate subject to expose children to can lead the children to turn
to other sources of often unreliable information to learn about sex; their peers
or the internet. Without proper guidance from adult figures, the younger
generations are vulnerable to irresponsible or dangerous sexual behaviors that
may cost them dearly.
And at the opposite end of this spectrum, lies the bunch who didn’t look
too much for information and have very limited knowledge of sex and all the
things that go with it, including their genital areas. This group consists
mostly of females, and they are sadly missing out. Because as Bu Tasya put it, “perempuan
jarang…mengeksplorasi daerah genital [mereka]. Ada banyak yang ngga suka, ya
[merasa] tabu, ngga suka utak-atik. Akhirnya ngga kenal [dengan area genital]. Harusnya
kenal. Kalian harus tahu di mana letak sensitif [kalian].” Aside from the
obvious enjoyment it will give you, I believe that getting acquainted with your
private parts, and your body in general, for that matter, is quite important. Knowing
the difference between what is normal and not normal for your body can very
well save your life. Knowing that a lump shouldn’t be there, or that a certain
area shouldn’t be hurting can lead to early diagnosis and much more positive
prognosis. It’s sad to me that most young females are kept away from this
sensibility.
Of course, I’m not implying that either is the case with every single
child, adolescent, or young adult in our country. I’ve met peers or juniors who
held well-rounded, reasonable views and knowledge of sex. So maybe not all hope
is lost. Maybe sex is also one of those things that you learn more about and become
more comfortable with as you grow up and mature. Like getting a job or how to
change your car’s tire. Maybe more and more people will become more comfortable
with discussions of sex.
Maybe in our country’s not-so-distant future, sex won’t be a taboo
subject anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment